Some Support • Ages 14-16 • Goal:
Make a Transition Plan
Action step 1.
Think about options for high school.
High school options include:
- Graduating with a diploma or a certificate
- Graduating in four years
- Staying in special education longer, up to age 22
- Going to vocational education or trade school
Talking about these options can help you:
- Set goals
- Decide what classes to take
- Decide what supports you need to help you reach your goals after high school
Words to know
Action step 2.
Think about options after high school.
After high school, you may:
- Want to get a job
- Want to go to college or another kind of school
- Need time and help to figure out what you want to do
Thinking about what you want to do after high school can help you plan for your time in high school.
Action step 3.
Prepare for college entrance exams.
If your goal is to go to college, you may need to take a college entrance exam, like the SAT or the ACT. If you have an IEP or 504 plan, you can ask for accommodations. Getting help from a tutor and taking practice tests can help you get ready for the test.